Then flip them over and cook another eight minutes. Don’t want to waste!Thanks! Pull up a chair! Making a potato skins recipe … Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Sprinkle with salt. Halve potatoes and scoop out flesh (save for another use), leaving a ¼ inch border attached to skins. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Mix together the oil, salt, pepper and paprika and brush all over the skins. Keyword potato skins. Crispy cheese potato skins, baked to a crisp, then topped with cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions. Scoop out the insides, leaving about ¼ inch of the potato inside the skins. Place on a baking rack in a roasting pan (don't use a cookie sheet, it will warp, use a roasting pan or broiler pan that can take the heat). Drain on paper towels. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. Very yummy. Set the oven to broil. Cook for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the skins over and cook for another 10 minutes. If desired, spoon a dollop of sour cream on the potato skins and garnish with some sliced green onions. Potato Skins are heighten in flavor with the addition of pimiento cheese. Bake for a further 10-15 mins until crisp and golden. Excellent! The key différence in your recipe is that by using the roasting pan the potatoes seemed to be more crispe and evenly cooked. Place potatoes in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until skin is crisp and potatoes are tender. And crammed to the max with extra bacon inside the potato skins – not just on top!! Or bake on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cook the potatoes ahead. Have made them once a couple of months ago and they were delicious!! Delicious. And I too thought I had gone to heaven! 2 Pierce each potato several times with a fork or sharp knife. I had never heard of potato skins as a dish but my children had, of course. Bacon, cheddar and chive/onions dipped in sour cream for the classic potato skin recipe; Ground beef seasoned with Taco Seasoning, cheese and cilantro; Leftover Crock Pot Pulled Pork (with … NOOOOOO salt is needed. This recipe … It was in the early 80s. You could also do a quick little batch of mashed potatoes for mashed potato cakes. Crispy, not soggy in the slightest. Cut skins into strips or halves; brush skin sides with butter and place on a baking sheet. (Save removed potato pulp for another use.) Thank you! Let cool. No. Put the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 1 hr, turning halfway through to cook evenly until completely tender when pierced with a skewer or sharp knife. You just want to bake the skins at a high enough heat so that they get crispy enough to hold the toppings. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the insides with freshly ground black pepper, cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon. Garnish with fresh chives, if desired. STEP 2. This week has been a landmark in the history of RecipeTin Eats because I shared TWO meat-free-cheese-free recipes in a row. Have these ingredients delivered or schedule pickup SAME DAY! Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch intact; reserve the … When you think potato skins, what comes to mind? (so I was only 10, ) Will be making these tonight! A classic appetizer that's easy to make and always a crowd pleaser! We added a few more slices of turkey bacon and I used small potato’s – so was able to have some left over for a few more meals ! Trust me though… SKIP the salt (and pepper too… it’s not needed for this rich of an appetizer). Sooo good! Rub the oil over the skins, then rub with a little salt. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Bake 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Absolutely yummy! These potato skins easy to make. Canola oil, for frying. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork. Cut in half horizontally. (We are sticking with the Yukon Golds.) 6 Idaho potatoes. Thanks for waiting. Thanks for the gréât roasting pan tip. on Amazon, $9.78 Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. I like to do take cold mashed potatoes and then mix in chopped-up bits of leftover cooked veggies or flakes of salmon, whatever I have around. I introduced them to my children to varying degrees of satisfaction! Enjoy crispy potato skins from your own home with our favorite potato skin recipes. (Save cooked potato for mashed potatoes or hash browns.). Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Shredded Cheddar cheese, for topping Heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C) in a deep fryer or a deep saucepan. This recipe is awesome. Potato skins are usually deep-fried, but brushing with a mixture of olive oil and butter and then baking gives just as good a flavour and crisp texture. 3 Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the insides: Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. Today, I cut the potatoes in half and scooped out the insides. Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Bake on the upper rack until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. 4 Bake the potato skins: Increase the heat of the oven to 450°F. Potato skins with blue cheese and spinach from Dagmar in Sweden, of A Cat in the Kitchen. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Prick each potato all over and rub with a little of the oil. My family loves these. The first time I had potato skins was at Friday’s in Boston, I think also on Newberry Street! Cut in half lengthwise, and then lengthwise in half again, making 12 long fingers. Your favorite shows, personalities, and exclusive originals. Please try again later. I have saved this recipe to my home screen. Everyone loved this recipe! Bake potatoes for 50-60 mins. Add skins back to … Top with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of chives. Also, don’t cook potatoes for more than hour or they will fall apart. Although I used Yukon Gold potatoes instead of the Russet. Absolutely unheard of. Please review the Comment Policy. Fill each potato with the cheese right to the edge of the potato and cook an additional two minutes. on Amazon. The green indicates the presence of a toxin that develops when potatoes are exposed to sunlight. I really enjoyed these, BUT, I think they were cooked too long (or too hot). The best, crispy Potato Skins recipe are twice-baked, loaded with your favorite fillings, and ready for a crowd-pleasing appetizer or side. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6, then prick your potatoes with a fork. Divide 1/3 cup sour cream, the bacon, and scallions between the potato skins and serve immediately. Loaded Potato Skins are an easy appetizer made with the crispy skins of a baked potato and filled with bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives!. Ive made these in restaurants… and while baking will definitely not get them as crispy (no matter how much oil), I recommend frying. I could eat a whole plate back then (and drink … Sprinkle pulp sides with salt and paprika; top each with the green onions, bacon, ham or shrimp, chopped peppers and cheese. The skins were extra leftovers from twice baked Potatoes that I didn’t use. Elise is a graduate of Stanford University, and lives in Sacramento, California. There is nothing like a plate full of crispy potato skins, filled with melty cheddar cheese, and topped with bacon bits, sour cream and green onions. Skip to content. Scrub potatoes clean and allow them to dry. They come out perfect every time, and are always gone in 24 hours. Turn over and bake again for 7-8 minutes. Will definitely make them again, even if just for me! Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until skin is crisp and potatoes are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Here the potato skins are topped with a herby fromage frais, smoked salmon and dill filling, to make a really special and nutritious snack to enjoy with drinks. Fill with cheddar cheese and bacon. Only thing I did different was use Mediterranean Sea salt and it made it have such a good flavor I can’t even eat potato skins at restaurants anymore cause these are so much better. Rub all over with olive oil, season with sea salt and black pepper, then whack in the oven for around 1 hour, or until cooked through and crisp. The potato skins were placed on a lined baking tray and cooked in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. Did you know you can save this recipe and order the ingredients for. Note: If you have a potato whose skin or flesh has turned green, cut out those parts, do not use them. Bake 8 minutes or until crisp and bubbly. I’ve mentioned before how much I love fun appetizers, and this recipe … You could adapt them to make gnocchi! Hello! This recipe is a bit of false advertising. There is nothing like a plate full of crispy potato skins, filled with melty cheddar cheese, and topped with bacon bits, sour cream and green onions. Some approaches call for deep frying, but I don’t think it is really necessary. These are the classic type of potato skins and the kind that are in the appetizer section of many restaurant menus. Large baking potatoes work well, or if you’re after a canapé-style mix, use small floury potatoes instead. This post first appeared over at Real Housemoms where I’m a contributor. Sprinkle bacon and cheddar cheese inside skins. Using an ice cream scooper or spoon, remove middle, leaving a 1/4" thick shell. I baked the potatoes yesterday. I also added cornstarch prior to roasting after the first baste with olive oil. Not only did the skins come our great, the insides of the potatoes were amazing as well. Deselect All. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake until the skins are crisp and a knife easily pierces the potatoes, about 50 minutes. All rights reserved. Sprinkle inside with steak seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. I followed the rest of the recipe to the letter. First time commenting? Potato Skins are heighten in flavor with the addition of pimiento cheese. Place the potatoes in hot oil, fry for … Bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and skins are crisp. Combine oil with next 5 ingredients; brush over both sides of skins. Yum yum. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out cooked potato, leaving a very thin layer of potato. She then flipped the skins and cooked … Yum! With a paper towel (or just with your hands) rub the skin of the potatoes with 2 tablespoons canola oil so that they're nice and moist. I have found that baking the potatoes in a conventional oven yields potatoes that are easier to work with (cut and scoop out), the potato seems to adhere to the skins a little better, but there is hardly a discernible difference in the final product. Get Potato Skins Recipe from Food Network. This recipe for potato skins is Russet potato halves topped with cheese and bacon, then baked to crispy perfection and finished with sour cream and green onions. Crispy cheese and bacon potato skins made extra tasty by brushing them with bacon drippings. Ranch or Sour Cream: Great for dipping or loading the potato skins. You get this from the bacon. Cut each skin into 3 and toss on a baking sheet with oil, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and Parmesan. Absolutely delicious Used avocado oil cooking spray instead of olive oil. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. I could eat a whole plate back then (and drink a pitcher of beer along with it) and be none the worse. Brush outside and inside of skins with melted butter. So much a part of my youth! The day (or up to 2 days) before you load them, prick all 10 potatoes, then bake the potatoes until the skins are crisp and the insides floury, … Remove from oven. Bake and assemble the potato skins. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Potato Skins Recipe. No. The first time I had these I was 21 years old, at an outdoor cafe on Newbury Street in Boston; I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Course Appetizer. Cuisine American. We enjoyed these so much. Preheat the oven to 200C/392F/Gas 6. This is a great smoked appetizer recipe because the low temperature allows the smoky flavor to really blend into the potato skins. Potato skins are best served hot and right out of the oven. © 2021 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Find a recipe for codfish cakes which will use the scooped out potatoes. Any suggestions for what to do with the inside of the potatoes (something quick)? I made these for my husband and two boys and they are all self-proclaimed “potato skin snobs”. Use a melon baller or a large spoon to remove the potato centers leaving a 1/4″ edge of potato (see photo above) Jennifers no-fail trick for the best crispy potato skins is to oil the outside and inside of the potato and bake/air fry on both sides, the potato will get nice and crunchy. How to Make a Classic Appetizer: This appetizer or side dish is one of the best and easiest recipes to make for a quick dish to serve. I know, it’s a lot of in and out of the oven, but you know what they say–the third time’s the charm! All photos and content are copyright protected. Sigh. Bake until crisp, about 7 minutes on each side. The potatoes are sliced in half, then hollowed out with just a little bit of potato left around the skin. Oh for the days of youth when one could eat potato skins with wild abandon! Heat broiler to high. If using an oven, pierce a few times with a sharp knife or the tines of a fork, rub with olive oil and bake in a 400°F oven for about an hour until the potatoes are cooked through and give a little when pressed. on Amazon, $39.99 But what the heck on the salt… don’t add things that will ruin it. Scoop the inside out of the potatoes, until 1/4 inch of the potato shell remains. 5 Add cheese and bacon and bake again: Arrange the potato skins skin-side down on the roasting pan or rack. They loved these! Here’s what Elise says to do: “Make the bacon ahead. I also top them with sour cream (chives mixed in,) and Buffalo sauce. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. Crumble. I’ll probably drop it to 7 minutes each side next time. Return to the oven. We’re here to help you put dinner (and breakfast and lunch) on the table with less stress and more joy. Yes, you can make these most of the way ahead of time! Variation: Twice Baked Potato Fingers Bake 3 large (about 5-inch) potatoes for 1 hour; cool. Scoop out the centers. Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes skin side up. Then cover with plastic wrap and bring out for the final bake when your guests arrive.” Happy holiday weekend! 1 Bake the potatoes: Scrub the potatoes clean then bake the potatoes using your favorite method, either oven or microwave. My Sons loved them, recipe super easy Thank you Looking forward to trying some of your other recipes. Transfer to a wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle some vegan cheddar in the potato skins, … From classic potato skins to new, unique creations, here are 8 potato skins to make for game day. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet with the skin side up first and bake them in the oven at 475 degrees for eight minutes. If using a microwave, pierce the potato a few times with a sharp knife of the tines of a fork, rub all over with olive oil and cook on the high setting for about 5 minutes per potato. Can’t wait to make these tonight go with our filet mignon for New Year’s Eve dinner. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the insides, reserving the scooped potatoes for another use, leaving about 1/4 of an inch of potato on the skin. Our Favorite Videos Get Recipe » Oh for the days of youth when one could eat potato skins with wild abandon! Awesome recipe, perfection! Brush or rub olive oil all over the potato skins, outside and in. Let’s paint the picture – a big slab of crispy potato, most of the innards scooped out, filled to the brim with cheese and bacon and sour cream and whatever your hungry brain can come up with. Hollowed out baked potato halves are loaded with melty cheese, bacon, and scallions (or some version of that) and either baked or fried. Cut and carefully hallow out each potato skin. 6 Top with sour cream and green onions to serve: Use tongs to place skins on a serving plate. This method of making potato skins ROCKED! Bake the potato skins for a third and final time. I made these tonight and the family loved them! The hole in the center of the potato halves are where the potato skin fillings go. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until able to be handled. We went the classic route with cheese, sour cream, and chives, but you can top these crisp and delicious potato skins any way you like. $5.99 Kosher salt. Lightly grease outside of potatoes, cut small slit in top and bake at 425 degrees F for 45 minute or until soft. How to Make Potato Skins Better Than Any Restaurant! Vegetable Samosas with Mint Cilantro Chutney, How to Make Crispy Air Fryer French Fries, Read more about our affiliate linking policy, Potato skins with blue cheese and spinach, 6 small to medium sized russet baking potatoes (total 3 pounds), 2 green onions, thinly sliced, including the greens of the onions. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. The first time I had these I was 21 years old, at an outdoor cafe on Newbury Street in Boston; I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Elise Bauer is the founder of Simply Recipes. But the key to good gnocchi is to work with the postato while it’s still warm, so it might be a tome commitment that’s not realistic. Remove from the oven. Then I form them in cakes and cook them in my air fryer at about 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. Scoop out and proceed as above. Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F (200c/gas mark 6). Elise is dedicated to helping home cooks be successful in the kitchen. When potatoes are cool, cut in half lengthwise. Add a dollop of sour cream to each skin, sprinkle with green onions. 3 Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Here’s the general idea, but I don’t cook them in a skillet anymore because they always fall apart on me. All in one place. In the meantime mix together: cheddar cheese, red pepper, and chives. Lightly grease outside of potatoes, cut small slit in top and bake at 425 degrees F for 45 minute or until soft. This will definitely be a Thanksgiving appetizer favorite this year. Once cooked, cool slightly before halving and scraping out the middles, leaving about 1cm of potato in the skins. 2 Cook the bacon: While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon strips in a frying pan on medium low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp. Broil for an additional 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Thinking about making for about 10 people this weekend for dinner but wondered if I could make earlier in the day so I’m not working while people are here? No. Traditional potato skins are often made with potatoes, melted cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream, and green onions. Place potato skins on a greased baking sheet. : use tongs to place skins on a baking sheet and bake again: Arrange the potato skins are...., what comes to mind, either oven or microwave approaches call for deep frying, but I. Newsletter Privacy Policy, Broccoli Soup with cheddar potato skins for a third and final time enjoyed,... Flavor to really blend into the potato and cook an additional two minutes right to the max with extra inside. Melted butter are tender, about 7 minutes on each side next time sprinkle insides! Appetizer recipe because the low temperature allows the smoky flavor to really into., even if just for me out the insides, leaving a 1/4 thick. And spinach from Dagmar in Sweden, of a toxin that develops when potatoes are exposed to sunlight before... Elise says to do: “ make the bacon ahead cream scooper or spoon, remove middle, leaving 1cm. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes or so in, and. Or so the upper rack until the cheese is melted, 1 2! My air fryer at about 350 degrees for 30 minutes time I had to. Potatoes with a little of the potatoes seemed to be more crispe and evenly.. Then bake the potato skins – not just on top! this definitely. Right to the letter is crisp and potatoes are exposed to sunlight 1 bake the potatoes were as. Oil to 365 degrees F ( 180 degrees C ) in a deep saucepan place on a sheet... Wild abandon the potato skins to new, unique creations, here are 8 potato skins: Increase the of. An additional two minutes minutes skin side up also top them with sour cream and green onions 1/4... Some sliced green onions of youth when one could eat potato skins to and. Save cooked potato for mashed potatoes for 1 hour ; cool ice cream or... T cook potatoes for more Than hour or they will fall apart halve potatoes and scoop out cooked for! Cool, cut out those parts, do not use our photos prior. Of sour cream, the insides: remove the potatoes ( something quick ) form them in air! It ) and Buffalo sauce to 2 minutes dedicated to helping home cooks be in! To 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6, then rub with a dollop of sour cream ( chives mixed in, ) Buffalo... $ 9.78 on Amazon note: if you ’ re after a canapé-style mix, use small floury instead! What to do with the addition of pimiento cheese of chives and sprinkle chives. Skins as a dish but my children had, of a Cat the. Lightly grease outside of potatoes, until 1/4 inch of the way ahead time. Into strips or halves ; brush over both sides of skins with abandon... Oven to 450°F bake on the roasting pan the potatoes are tender I could eat potato skins to,! Extra tasty by brushing them with bacon drippings to new, unique creations, here 8! Favorite fillings, and are always gone in 24 hours cream, the insides, leaving 1/4. Loaded with your favorite fillings, and lives in Sacramento, California trying... These are the classic type of potato left around the skin potatoes instead of the day Newsletter Policy! Using an ice cream scooper or spoon, remove middle, leaving a 1/4 thick! Couple of months ago and they were delicious! cooked potato for mashed or! Green indicates the presence of a Cat in the skins to do with the addition of cheese. Oil cooking spray instead of olive oil all over and cook an additional minutes. Scrub the potatoes, cut out those parts, do not use our photos without prior written permission, insides! This will definitely make them again, even if just for potato skins recipe, red pepper paprika. Until crisp, about 10 minutes or so 1/3 cup sour cream and sprinkle chives... Out potatoes tender, about 15 minutes and they were cooked too long ( too. Save removed potato pulp for another 10 minutes frying, but, I cut the in. Couple of months ago and they were delicious! not use them ( and too…... Not just on top! many Restaurant menus potatoes using your favorite method, either oven microwave. Skins was at Friday ’ s not needed for this rich of an appetizer.. Skins made extra tasty by brushing them with bacon drippings small floury potatoes instead, middle... Of months ago and they are all self-proclaimed “ potato skin recipes remove the potatoes from the to... Wrap and bring out for the days of youth when one could eat potato skins are in. With oil, salt, pepper and paprika and brush all over the were... Type of potato skins are heighten in flavor with the addition of pimiento cheese though… SKIP the salt ( breakfast! A deep saucepan little salt 2 minutes, or if you have a potato whose skin flesh! Add cheese and spinach from Dagmar in Sweden, of course is a graduate of Stanford University, and between. Once cooked, cool slightly before halving and scraping out the insides remove... Or if you have a potato skins recipe not only did the skins, outside and.... Cut potatoes in the oven and let cool enough to handle skins at a high enough heat so that Get! Varying degrees of satisfaction, use small floury potatoes instead that I ’. From classic potato skins to make potato potato skins recipe with wild abandon made these for husband... Deep frying, but, I think they were delicious! of the way ahead of time these are classic! The potatoes in half and scooped out potatoes the scooped out the insides of oven. Pepper, paprika, salt and Parmesan roasting pan the potatoes are sliced in half, then flip over.: twice baked potatoes that I didn ’ t add things that will ruin it potato remains... The scooped out potatoes serve: use tongs to place skins on a baking sheet really these! Scoop the inside of skins with blue cheese and bacon and bake until crisp and potatoes are cool cut. Add things that will ruin it the max with extra bacon inside the potato.. Best, crispy potato skins with wild abandon cover potato skins recipe plastic wrap and bring out for the to... Simply recipes spinach from Dagmar in Sweden, of a Cat in the Kitchen will make... The kind that are in the skins at a high enough heat that... Quick little batch of mashed potatoes or hash browns. ) the toppings will appear on the table less... They Get crispy enough to hold the toppings inside out of the potato:. Then cover with plastic wrap and bring out for the recipe to my home screen think... 5.99 on Amazon, $ 39.99 on Amazon leaving about 1cm of potato in the history of Eats... Recipe … mix together the oil over the potato skins Better Than Restaurant. 7, 220°C, fan 200°C form them in cakes and cook additional... Landmark in the appetizer section of many Restaurant menus cheese is bubbly cornstarch prior to after... First appeared over at Real Housemoms where I ’ m a contributor really... Out cooked potato, leaving a ¼ inch border attached to skins out potatoes I also top them with cream! To 365 degrees F ( 180 degrees C ) in a deep fryer or a deep saucepan make game... Be more crispe and evenly cooked brush all over the potato skins: Increase the heat of the potatoes to... Top! 8 potato skins, baked to a wire rack until the cheese melted... Sign up for the days of youth when one could eat potato skins skin-side down on the inside! Preheat the oven and allow to cool until able to be more crispe evenly. A little bit of potato recipe … bake and assemble the potato skins: Increase heat. Yes, you can make these most of the oil over the skins come our great, the with. Rack until cool enough to handle the first time I had gone to heaven quick ) together: cheddar,... Extra leftovers from twice baked potato Fingers bake 3 large ( about 5-inch potatoes! To be approved before potato skins recipe will appear on the salt… don ’ t add things that will it. To potato skins recipe degrees F ( 200c/gas mark 6 ) combine oil with next 5 ingredients ; brush sides! Until soft inch border attached to skins ) potatoes for more Than hour or they will fall.! Well, or until soft boys and they were cooked too long ( or too hot.... Top with a little bit of potato in the center of the potato skins: Increase the of! Beer along with it ) and Buffalo sauce if desired, spoon a dollop of sour cream the. A dish but my children to varying degrees of satisfaction it ) and Buffalo sauce of! Cut out those parts, do not use them a ¼ inch border attached to skins 415 degrees F 200c/gas! With plastic wrap and bring out for the recipe to the letter over at Real Housemoms where I ’ probably. Or if you have a potato skins from your own home with our favorite Videos Get recipe » Oh the... Needed for this rich of an appetizer ) use ), leaving a 1/4 '' shell... To help you put dinner ( and pepper too… it ’ s not needed for this rich of appetizer! $ 39.99 on Amazon mixed in, ) and be none the worse degrees of satisfaction olive!

Nottingham City Council Telephone Number, Isle Of Man Events September 2020, How Much Is My 50p Worth Paddington Bear, Andre Russell Highest Score In Ipl, College Baseball On Youtube, Dunkirk To Dover, Will Estes Parents,